In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, FEMA is requiring existing levees to undergo a recertification program. Thousands of levee structures have missing, inadequate, or outdated certification documentation.
Massoud Rezakhani Consulting (MRC) LLC in partnership with RMTC/URS Joint Venture worked with city, state, local, and county authorities in Hawaii, Southern California, and Arizona to recertify existing levees.
The scope of work involved performing a complete engineering analysis and disaster plan recommendations for the levees. Levee design criteria include:
- embankment protection and foundation stability
- interior drainage
- operation and maintenance plans
As a result, FEMA is updating their Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) resulting in safer communities by providing more accurate predictions and mapping areas that have previously not been mapped.
- FEMA has required all levees to be re-certified. Thousands of levee structures have missing, inadequate, or outdated certification documentation.
- MRC, LLC works with city, state, local and county authorities to perform a complete engineering analysis and disaster plan recommendations for FEMA.
- Safer communities as a result of more accurate mapping, as well as mapping previously un-mapped areas.